Faculty Institute for Inclusive Teaching (FIIT)
The Faculty Institute of Inclusive Teaching (FIIT) is a self-paced, asynchronous, online program for faculty members. A new launch of this institute will happen in July 2022, and will consist of five content modules:
- Module 1 - Designing Your Course
- Module 2 - Creating a Welcoming Environment
- Module 3 - Bringing Awareness to Classroom Dynamics
- Module 4 - Facilitating Classroom Communication
- Module 5 - Caring for Self and Community
The University of Denver onboarding requirement for new faculty is completion of one FIIT module. Faculty will be able to choose which module that they would like to complete for this university requirement.
FIIT originated from a collaboration between the Faculty Senate, the Chancellor, the Provost and the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and was developed by the OTL in collaboration with the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs. This crucial work stems from a collective vision that the DU community laid out several years ago regarding inclusivity in the classroom.
In collaboration with campus partners, FIIT was created by OTL staff as a comprehensive, self-paced, asynchronous online program. It was previewed by the Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, Faculty Affairs Associate Deans, the Faculty of Color Association, a selection of Chairs and Directors, and Faculty Senate members and leaders. Since launching in August 2020, approximately 1600 faculty members have completed FIIT.
To access the FIIT coursework, use the following instructions:
1. Go to Pioneer@Work
2. Login with your DU credentials
3. Navigate to the search window at the right top corner of the screen.
4. In the search window, type in “Faculty Institute of Inclusive Teaching”.